Poison Ivy Rashes
What is poison ivy?
Most people know of and have a healthy fear of poison ivy. The poison ivy is a North American plant that produces urushiol, a liquid, which causes a severe allergic reaction in most people. Generally, people don't associate poison ivy with children, however, and some people believe that children do not have skin that is affected by poison ivy. Even though it is true that poison ivy rashes are extremely rare in children in their first year, this is more likely due to the minimal opportunity that the baby has to come into contact with the plant. Poison Ivy rashes are a form of allergic contact dermatitis. Not everybody will have reactions upon contact, but up to 85% of people will have an allergic response to urushiol that is contained in poison ivy.
What to do with Poison Ivy Rashes
The best cure for poison ivy induced rashes is prevention. Do not take your baby out into the forest, especially areas where poison ivy may grow. They are very common plants and its oil can also be airborne in smoke if someone is burning poison ivy. The rashes, which can be very severe, will show up 12 to 24 hours after contact, but can also present immediately, or be further delayed, showing up a week after contact. The skin will blister, become swollen, and intense itch and pain are common.
If you suspect that your baby has poison ivy induced dermatitis, contact a pediatrician immediately. Even though the rashes should crust over in time, it is advised that you contact a pediatrician as the reactions can be very severe, and can even cause anaphylaxis in some cases, and babies have very sensitive skin.